Update 11/21/2009 11:22 PM - The vet at Baton Rouge Pet Emergency just called - Copper passed away. He didn't seem to be in any pain and went very peacefully. Everything that could be done was done, but it was just too late. There is no reason other than human stupidity that any animal should die from a disease that is 100% preventable by a vaccine.

At the end of our adoption day (11/21/2009) we were contacted about a severely malnourished lab puppy. CopperThe owner of the pup was not feeding him or providing water. He was outside on a chain with no shelter. The family who saved him did not have the money to take him to an emergency clinic but feared he would die before Monday. We agreed to take him and met the family at the emergency clinic. The dog was surrendered to APAWS and emergency vet care immediately began. He is approximately six months old, he only weighs 30 pounds. That is roughly half of what he should weigh based on his body size. He has congested lungs, a fever of over 105 degrees and bloody diarrhea. The parvo test came back with a strong positive. He is currently at the pet emergency clinic on IV fluids and antibiotics. His prognosis is very guarded due to the severity of the parvo and his malnourishment. A simple vaccination would have completely prevented this horrible disease.
Flipper - DSH Orange Tabby

Update 5/9/2009 - After a very strong fight Flipper passed away today at 6:45pm. He was a fighter until the end, unfortunately his illness was more than his small body could handle.

APAWS was contacted by animal control early this week about a four week old kitten born with only three legs. This is the same animal control facility which contacted us about Susan. The kitten was to be put down that day unless we agreed to take him. Although our cat foster moms are overloaded they felt this little boy deserved a chance. We are all volunteers and have day jobs. None of our volunteers were able to drive to Shreveport, but we were able to get him on a transport to Baton Rouge. This morning (May 8, 2009) he arrived in Baton Rouge and he was not doing well. We aren't sure if this is related to his birth defects or an illness contracted while at animal control. He was rushed immediately to the nearest vet office cold and gasping for air. He has recieved ICU care all day and will be going home with a volunteer who can provide care all night. Our paws are crossed this little boy will be able to overcome his illness, but he is in very critical condition at this time.

Murray - DSH
Update 06/24/2009 - The very difficult decision was made to assist Murray in his passing. On June 23, 2009 Murray's foster found him very lethargic and sickly. He was brought to the pet emergency and stabalized for the night. One of our vets examined him and reviewed all tests done at the emergency clinic. The vet determined the most humane thing to do was to let him go. He was in both kidney and liver failure and ketoacidosis. His age and numerous medical problems made it almost impossible to treat him.

The below picture was taken the evening before his passing. The cat pictured with him is the kitten mentioned in his story, Wendy. She comforted him until the very end.

Murray's story from his foster mom:
Murray came to APAWS early last year with a very infected leg wound, it appeared a dog had bitten him through the leg. A large amount of the skin on that leg had fallen off due to the infection. A few months later we learned he was FIV+ and figured that was why he was taking so long to heal. In October we learned he had diabetes, once he was on insulin for a couple weeks his leg healed. His estimated age was 15+ and he also suffered from entropian (eye lashes rubbing on the eye), a heart murmur and stomatitis - in other words a train wreck.

He sent me to the urgent care center twice for bite wounds, he also attacked the vet and techs. Over time he seemed to realize I was only trying to help him and he started giving head bonks and making biscuits. I couldn't believe the first time I heard him purr! Just looking at him you knew he had a rough life, something about him seemed to make everyone love him. Late last year Emily saw a kitten hit by a car at the Wendy's on Siegen. She couldn't find the kitten, I went back with her and we trapped her. We brought the kitten to my house and into Murray's room to transfer her to a crate, we figured Murray's room would be the quietest room. We were shocked when this little bundle of fur began racing around the room clinging on the walls - we still aren't sure how she defied gravity. All of a sudden she saw Murray and from that moment they were inseperable. It tooks weeks, but Murray was able to tame Wendy and she is now a very sweet lap cat. Wendy seemed to bring a new light to Murray's eyes and became his comfort when he had to go to the vet for tests.

I've been having problems regulating Murray's blood sugar. In March I had a full blood panel done on him to see if he was having any organ failure and his blood panel couldn't have been better! We decided to continue aggressive treatment of the diabetes and I began changing his diet to a carb free diet. Murray liked wet food, but really loved his kibble. I was having a hard time taking his kibble away from him. I felt with his age and everything that was wrong with him I should just let him have whatever he wanted, I'm really glad I did that. Late last night I brought him his canned food and went to top off the kibble, Murray always comes running when food is involved. He didn't come out and Wendy was acting weird. Murray was under the futon, very cold, dehydrated and lethargic. I brought him to the emergency clinic. His temp was 92.4, he required immediate IV fluids, his ketones were extremely high and he was in both liver and kidney failure. The vet told me there was just a little hope and wanted me to leave him there until the regular vets opened and then transfer him to another vet. I didn't want to take the risk of him dying in a cage alone, so I chose to bring him home. A video is attached of Wendy trying to make him feel better last night. I think in her own way she got to say goodbye.

This morning I brought him to one of the best vets in Baton Rouge, Dr. Lee, in hopes he could help. Dr. Lee told me Murray's body was failing, they could do aggressive treatment including a feeding tube, an IV and several days of hospitilization. Even with that treatment he wasn't optimistic Murray would make it. I didn't want him to suffer and know with multiple organ failure that is exactly what I would be doing. I agreed to have him put to sleep this morning. He passed very quickly and peacefully, he was ready.